Wednesday 5 February 2014

Code::Blocks from Source on Linux (Debian) Mint

I've had a bit of a programming tools review, especially on my Linux boxes.  I've been using the stable release of Code::Blocks 12 for a long time, the reason being the lack of time and space to evaluate the newer v13.


Today however, the boss is out of the office, and with two projects under test I'm not going to do any more project progression for the next two days... This is therefore my window of opportunity... My chance to try v13!

And just to add to my thrill... God I'm sad... I built it from source...

For my own records then, my steps were...

1. Install the dependencies...
  sudo apt-get update
  sudo apt-get upgrade
  sudo apt-get install gtk+-2.0
  sudo apt-get install libwxgtk2.8-dev
  sudo apt-get install libwxbase2.8-dev
2. Download the source http://www.codeblocks.org/downloads
3. Extract to a folder and within...
  ./configure
  sudo make
  sudo make install
4. Edit the ld.so.conf
  sudo nano /etc/ld.so.conf
- Add -
include /usr/local/lib
- Save -
  sudo ldconfig
5. Run Code Blocks!

So far my tests have been fine, the project all load, and better than all this... My main project compile time has gotten a lot shorter, I'm talking we've gone from 1m8s on v12 to 48seconds... This may sound like nothing, but extend this out over 137 projects... That's just over 45 minutes on a full system rebuild for the main project.

No comments:

Post a Comment