Tuesday 11 September 2012

DayZ Bullet Physics versus Trees


Well, after a week without internet and a very busy day having new carpets fitted, and sorting out a whole bunch of my old junk, I sat down; with the wife - she's so cool; to play some DayZ.

Now, my internet (wireless) signal has been really really screwy, with all the stuff moved about in the house we're getting echo's and shadows in the signal all over the house, so my connection has been so flakey to servers.  I got disconnected from like three servers after a few minutes and then finally got connected to a stable server.

I was on an UK server, that had myself, one other person and then a group of three guys all with the same clan icons "[A2]" I think... Anyway, I hit a military camp and then start to make my way north, rain is bucketing it down and as I enter a small clump of tree's, seemingly in the middle of nowhere, I hear the zip of a shot and then another zip of a shot...

Someone is shooting at me, from an unknown, very distant location... But I can't figure out where from... I can't hear the gun, just the shots hitting the tree's around me... And I can't see any flash of the gun in the dark...

I was tempted to squeeze off a whole mag of M14A1 fire into the blackness, to try to freak them out into moving away, but they don't... I can still hear lots of rounds hitting the tree's, but no direction...

I moved out of cover, and got hit in the legs... luckily I have bandages, morphine and plenty of meat to make up the blood loss and crawl under cover...

And this is where the problems kicked off... I started to lag again, I can hear shots ripping up the foliage above me, and I can't move with a yellow lag out... Suddenly my character glitches onto a small wall and stands up... FUCK FUCK... and I lay down again, but too late, I get hit again, and have to seek refuge to kneel and bandage again.

I think the bandage went on, and then red connection... GAH!!!

But, this was fine, I waited in the bush, hoping it would come back, but it never did so I let the thing fall over and tried to get back on.

It was thrilling, my stupid connection broke the situation, which was intense... But in the end I cowardly left it... And didn't dare go back, or try, with my connection.

Now, this brought me to thinking, what was wrong with the situation?... I could not get a bead on a return shot... I could not hear the shots coming in, just their landing, and I could not hear the source weapon... This was problematic at best...

At worst it was a right royal pain in the back side, I wanted to turn and loose some covering fire in the general direction and then set about running out of there... but which direction?

Now, the shots coming in were hitting the bushes and making a specific sound... so there is a trigger so the game knows that the shots hit the foliage... All it needed was an effect, where leaves and such came out of the tree's in the trail of the bullets, then I'd have known the direction the fire was coming from...

My awesome MSPaint SkillZ

I'm going to post this on the forum, as a suggestion, I think... It'd help those of us (like me) who like to hang out in the bush, rather than spend time in the concrete.

No comments:

Post a Comment