Monday 25 June 2012

Prometheous Promise Pants


I'm going to sound a little daft here, but I went to see Prometheous yesterday, and I came out feeling... really really angry about it... I had this idea in my head of it explaining a few things with the Alien franchise, with some proper "Oh my god we can't escape this thing, oh my god no matter how careful we are, oh my god its loose" style terror... Instead I sat there, and was treated to an impressive visual display, but no real meat on the bones of the story.

The eligmatic looking "Engineers" the star jockey of Alien fame... Turns to be a really rather confused, unexplained, unfocussed character... There's no real explanation for them, no explanation for anything... Its a film without a story except to cause a follow up film, which it will...

And I sat there thinking... This is Ridley Scott... This is... This is shite.

It annoyed me on so many levels, firstly... Scientific method... There's an alien world, a archeological site, they know nothing about... "Yeah take your helmet off man"... good idea... NOT.... There's these things they change with activity... open the chamber fuck it up.... I mean Howard Carter understood the problems of opening tombs why in 2093 don't we...

Then the date... 2093.... I know Ridley Scott will be dead by then, but I don't plan to be... I'll sit there and think... "Oh yeah another spaceship film full of shit".... and that's what I think about it now.

The unexplained attack with the DNA stuff by the robot on the scientist... There was no point in that... I mean... He ends up getting fried... so why bother?... The alien in her womb... pointless... The Star jockey chasing her down... Pointless... The head of David... "I know we've had our differences"... yeah... erm... WHEN?... Did I miss part of the plot here, was the Differences CUT from the film?... Because... really... there were no differences... there were no crossed words... Save for him taking her cross off her, which he did do for a reason and nicely.

I mean... It was all hung together so precariously...

Charlize Theron's character... she didn't need to be there at all...

Guy Pearce... Playing an old man, decent make up... they made a good effort... his feet were old... But did anyone notice, as the scene flicks to the mid-distance and the Robot is handing his slippers, the feet Guy slips into the slippers were young?... It broke the illusion....

It has, for me, ruined the imagary of the Star Jockey... For that first ship was crashed on some distant, very deep space moon, and was hundreds of years forward of this shit film... This shit film was two years of intersteller travel out... two years.

You know what... I can't slate it enough... It was bad, poorly put together, poorly scripted... not terribly well cast... and ruins the work that's gone before... They'venot done a George Lucas style reworking... but they've reworked something that didn't need reworking.

No comments:

Post a Comment