Sunday 15 August 2010

174, 124, 38, 32... No. 2

So, what is the rather cryptic title of this post about? Am I trying to decode some old episode of Lost? Am I picking out Lottery Numbers? No, I'm trying to point out the futility of a well rounded argument in the face of the wind of popular opinion.

A friend of mine and I were discussing "which is your favourite Stones track?", for the uninitiated the "Stones" refers to the rather popular English band "The Rolling Stones".

The mythical numbers above relate to the positions of some of their songs on the "Rolling Stone" (magazine) - How confusing is that name when I'm talking about "THE" Rolling Stones - any hew, these songs are:

Now, my friend and I were arguing over these four tracks, as to where they belong as our collective favourite Stones song, I'm afraid for all of your lovely peeps out there, I need to remove the third wall a moment here and say... I like Jumpin' Jack Flash the most, I always have, and always will, closely followed by Paint It, Black and Sympathy... That's my order, that's the way I see it.

That's not to say that I don't like Gimme Shelter, but whenever I hear it, I see cheaply made US TV network adverts in my head, for things like CSI... its an over used song.

That's not to say the others are not used, but they're not used as much as Gimme Shelter. And as such for me it looses marks.

By my friend was shocked and appalled by this, after having Gimme Shelter on repeat on his iPod for a full three hours, he's convinced it is the best Stones track, the track for him.

I don't think he's taken into account how depressing that might be, if it were one of his Desert Island Tracks, but hey ho, each to their own...

However, I've come to the conclusion that this argument between us was futile, we were foolish, hot headed and didn't sniff the wind of supposed popular opinion... You see, looking more closely at the social barometer which is the Rolling Stones top 500 Tracks list... number 2 is the key.

Nearly top of the shop, for The Rolling Stones at Number Two is... Satisfaction...

How very unsatisfying that is to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment